This is a simple and convenient step by step guide for replacing the front exterior door handle on your Honda Civic. (for models between 1996 and 2000).
Things you’ll need!
- An original exterior door handle.
- 10 mm ratcheting socket wrench.
Step 1: Removing the Honda Civic Interior Door Panel!
- Firstly, you’ll have to remove everything from the interior side of the door.
- Use a Philips screwdriver to remove the screw inside the door handle.
- Simply pull the handle back and out.
- The door handle will be connected with a handle rod and cable harness, simply push the clip off the rod and pull it off. Again, simply disconnect the cable harness by pulling it out.
- Next, pull the triangular panel (located opposite to the side mirror) and the door panel as well.
- As you pop off the door panel, you can locate two screws. One below the windows buttons and the other at the end of the panel. Remove them.
- Then, pull out the two cable harnesses located beneath the windows buttons.
- Next, using a flat head screwdriver remove the speaker cover and remove the 3 screws located around the speaker.
- After you’ve removed all the screws, you can pull the whole door panel out by simply lifting it up and out.
- Do unplug the cable harness connected with the speaker when you pull the door panel out.
Step 2: Remove the Honda Civic Exterior Door Handle and Lock!
- If you look behind the exterior door handle, you can find a clip connected with the handle rod. Simply disconnect the clip using a flat head screwdriver.
- You’ll find 2 ten millimeter bolts. Remove them.
- Next, pull out the lock rod connected with the door handle by using a flat head screwdriver. Also, remove the clip from lock bezel.
- You can pull the door handle and the lock out.
Step 3: Install the Exterior Door Handle to your Honda Civic!
- Fix the new door handle in its place and put one of the 2 ten millimeter bolts from the inside.
- Place the lock back in its place, put the clip back on the lock bezel. After doing that, put the other ten millimeter bolt and tighten it.
- Place the handle rods and clip them back in their places.
- Now to fix the door panel, simply reverse the process.
- First connect the cable harness of the speaker and fix the panel.
- Make sure it’s fixed right in its place.
- Insert and tighten the 3 screws around the speaker.
- Install the interior door handle back in its place.
- Install the windows button panel back in its place and connect the cable harnesses.
- Fix the triangular panel back in its place.