Getting Rid of Unpleasant Car Air Conditioning System Odors
All the car owners out there must have gone through the annoying problem of having to go through unpleasant smell when they turn their car’s air conditioner. This is all because of the bacteria living deep inside the air conditioning system of your vehicle.
This guide provides information for the removal of stinking odours from car’s air conditioning system. Yes, different car manufacturers install different Air Conditioning System in their cars, however, they all work on the same principle. That is why you can go through the following guide in order to fix the A/C odour issue in any of your cars.
Before getting into the fixing process, let’s learn a thing or two about a car’s Air Conditioning System, also known as HVAC SYSTEM.
What is an HVAC System?
Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning or HVAIR CONDITIONING SYSTEM, is a system which controls the ambient environment i.e. temperature and airflow of the passenger’s compartment.
A common HVAC SYSTEM contains following components;
- Expansion Valve
Coolant arrives at compressor where it is pressurised and hence is at high temperature. The coolant fluid then enters the condenser i.e. radiator where heat drop occurs. Now the fluid passes through the evaporator where furtherly pressure drops and hence the liquid converts into gas. This coolant gas by means of a blower is then blown and circulated in the passenger compartment.
With time, harmful bacteria enter your car’s interior in the form of leaves and dust particles as shown in the image below. These bacteria fly off with air when Air Conditioning system of the car is switched on and hits our faces directly. These bacteria can seriously damage our skin as well as lungs as we inhale it. And it also produces unpleasant stinky odour.
This odour in your car’s air conditioning system can easily be removed by cleaners i.e. sprays, that uses enzymes. Enzymes in cleaners kill the bacteria as well as the stinky smell. We used Air Conditioning Sanitizing Spray as shown in the image below. Once used, the car must be left with all its windows opened so that all the harmful gases can escape out of the car.
Steps for Getting Rid of Stinky Smell
- First of all, you need to locate the intake of the car Air Conditioning System.
- Next, start the engine of the car.
- Now, you can turn on the Air Condition (A/C) of the car.
- It’s important that you turn off the Air Circulation.
- Now, put the blower at the maximum speed.
- Open all the windows in the car.
- Now spray the Air Conditioning Sanitizing Spray over the intake of the Car Air Conditioning System.
- You will need to spray all over the intake, no matter driver or passenger.
- Wait for the gases to escape out of the car compartment, give it at least 6 to 7 hrs.
With this method, you will end up killing all the bacteria but if there is debris like leaves and etc. stuck in the Air Condition Systems’ Radiator. You can blow if off using any conventional electrical blowers. This would cause your Air Conditioning System to work as efficiently as it was in the early days.
NOTE: In addition to all that, you need to clean your air condition’s cabin air filter as well. Wash it or replace it with a new filter in order to get rid of the bacteria for good.
- Always remember to wear safety goggles and face masks while spraying the Sanitizing Spray.
- Do not use the car for at least 6 to 7 hours after using the Sanitizing Spray.