Remove and Install the Serpentine Fan Belt on your 4.0 L Ford Explorer
The following is a step by step guide for removing and installing a Serpentine fan belt in your 4-cylinder Ford Explorer.
Things You’ll Need!
- Flat head screwdriver
- An 8mm wrench
- 3/8 in drive ratchet
- New Serpentine Fan Belt
Step 1: Removing the Ford Explorer’s Belt!
- First off, make sure you disconnect the battery cable.
- You have to pull out the intake hose. You can do that by unclamping the air filter box and removing the screw.
- Next, use the ratchet and place it in the belt tensioner. Put pressure on the tensioner, it will loosen up the belt so that you can take it off.
Step 2: Install the Serpentine Fan Belt on your 4.0 L Ford Explorer!
- For installing a new belt, you can check the belt diagram. It will help you understand how the belt is routed inside around the pulleys and other components.
- First, take the new belt and make a loop. You’re going to have to pass the belt under the crankshaft first.
- Next, the belt should go over the water pump and around the power steering pump and AC compressor.
- Then around the alternator and finally into the tensioner.
- Make sure the belt is installed properly and goes over all the pulleys and components according to the diagram. You can slide the belt by again applying pressure on the tensioner if it’s tight.
- Reinstall the hose. Clamp the air filter box and insert the screw back in.
- Make sure all the connections are tight.
- Connect the battery and there you have it.